Welcome to JAB

Hello students, parents and carers,

Welcome to the JAB class blog for 2017.

Please feel free to respond to any posts – we would love to know you are looking at this blog.

Both the students and myself will be aiming to make at least one post each week so that you have a better idea of what is going on in the classroom. It will also help the students learn about the different uses of social media.

This first week we have mainly focused on setting up a positive classroom community and getting used to the routines and responsibilities of being in Grade One. We have also been learning about the brain and in particular how everything we do results in changes inside the brain and that we can all get better at things even when we make mistakes. We are learning not to say …” I can’t do it.” and instead to say I can’t do it yet.

This is all part of learning how to have a ‘Growth mindset’ instead of a ‘Fixed mindset’.  More on that later….

The students made some neurons ( brain cells or nerve cells ) and these posters helped them to see that we get more neurons and connections every time we practise something. Even making mistakes helps our brain to change.

And here we are at the end of the today enjoying some icy poles ! So it’s not all serious.